Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Choices, Choices

I love quotes. Part of it is that I love writing – words are definitely the medium I’m most comfortable in and respond the most to. The other part is that sometimes someone else can put a sentiment in just such a perfect way, or spin a phrase that really gives you pause and makes you think.

One phrase I came across the other day was “Pride in reverse.” It was in the context of explaining how some people (ahem) get very caught up in the things they do wrong or struggle with, then are wracked with guilt and turn in on themselves to focus on how horrible they are or how terribly they screwed up. So they’re feeling badly about something, but the act of wallowing in their sorrow about it was expressed as “pride in reverse”. I love that. I’ve been totally guilty of doing that. Wallowing is very self-centered. There is learning to be had in looking at things you’ve done critically, but that is a very different thing.

So back to quotes. With “pride in reverse” already in mind, I came across this great quote today:
“Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.” It’s from a writer named Karen Kaiser. How interesting – I think it’s so easy to assume that with change comes growth. But that’s an assumption that isn’t always the case. Potential for growth from change is always there, but you have to chose it.

Pretty fun stuff. So I’m going to choose to grow from my experiences with “pride in reverse” so that I can find better ways to handle it when I screw something up. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment